Monday, October 18, 2010

Green Beans

Let me tell you a story...
Once upon a time there was a girl that loved to garden. She loved the planning, and the planting. The watching and the waiting.

But one year, the girl didn't grow a garden. 

In the beginning, there were too many things happening all at once, and it just didn't seem quite possible. Then the spring came and went. And then the summer came and went too. And then the fall came.

The girl was sad. She missed her garden.

Luckily for her, she had a grandpa. A grandpa that loved to garden. Every year. Without fail.
This grandpa also loved to share. And so the girl was blessed.

(not) The End



 This recipe is from a girl in my ward that was kind enough to share it with me. Her husband, our bugman, raves about these green beans. So I thought I'd better give them a try. My grandpa has more beans coming on, so I will most likely be bottling more later this week. Next time I'm doing pints.

Angelene's Green Bean Recipe

1. place washed green beans into quart jars
2. sprinkle 1 tsp. sugar then 1 tsp. salt
3. fill jars with water
4. put lids on jars
5. place jars in pressure cooker with appropriate amount of water   (check the instruction booklet)
6. steam for 10 minutes
7. then cook for 25 minutes at 15 pounds pressure (depends on your elevation)

(the cooking time for pints is 20 minutes. halve the sugar and salt as well.)

3 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Oooooooo, I would love to try this recipe! Guess I'll have to wait till next year.

The Johnson's said...

Of all the things I bottle. Green beans are the one thing my family would kill me for not doing. I love doing them because they are the easiest to bottle with the littlest mess. Once again I love your pictures. Be happy!!!

The Calico Crew said...

You are a wonderful story teller. You write the stories, Isaac can illustrate them. (of course the pictures you take are excellent)