Friday, December 24, 2010

Gingersnap Cookies

we love to make gingersnap cookies this time of year.

and the house smells so delicious!

the recipe: ( i always seem to make these a little different every time, but here goes...)

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup shortening or oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon groundcloves
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
small amount of white granulated sugar

Mix brown sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg in a bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Form into a ball. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets lightly. Remove dough from the fridge and form into small balls about 1-2 inches. Dip the tops in white granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheets.
Bake 10-12 minutes. (makes 4 dozen)

(it's funny to me writing down recipes from my paper. there are always little nuances that aren't included. like the fact that i use a spoon to mix and stir everything up instead of an electric mixer. to me it makes a difference. or the fact that after i take the cookies out of the oven, i drop the cookie sheet on top of the stove or counter to flatten them out. is this the same for you? do you have little "tricks" you do when baking and cooking?)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

1 comment:

Reno said...

Oh, my! my! Gingersnap cookies are my one weakness. (ha- I have many more than one in case you wondered.) I just may have to try these.