Monday, December 29, 2008

Creamy-Cheesy Potato Soup

Gene and I love this soup. Most the time our kids do too. This time when I made it, luckily they liked it. Zoe said,"It's DE-LISH." I started making this soup the first year we were married. So it's a family recipe. It was from a vegetarian cookbook I borrowed from the teacher I did my student teaching with. I've altered and adapted the recipe, so now it's mine. This is what I use those parsnips for...

The Guess-ipe:

2 Tablespoons butter

1/2 onion, chopped

A few shakes of dill seasoning

1-2 parsnips, peeled and chopped

2-3 carrots, peeled and chooped (danvers half long from the garden, you'll need more of the baby carrots)

7 potatoes, peeled and cubed

5 cups water

2 vegetable boullion cubes

1 1/2 cups milk

4 oz. cream cheese

1 cup grated cheese

1. Saute the onion in the butter. Add the parsnips and carrots. Cook for a few minutes.

2. Add the potatoes. Stir everything around.

3. Add the water and dill seasoning. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid. Turn down the heat so it simmers until all the vegetables are soft.

4. Add half the milk and half the cream cheese to a blender. Add half the vegetable mixture to the blender. Blend.

5. Switch and blend the other half of vegetable mixture, milk, and cream cheese.

6. Combine everything together back in the pot. Stir in the grated cheese until it melts completely.

7. Serve and enjoy.


It's kind of time consuming, but well worth it. We usually eat our soup with ZESTA soda crackers.

No comments: