Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dreaming and Planning the Garden

We're going to do things a little bit differently this year with the garden.

I bought this book a week or so ago. I read it last summer, I think. When I read it, I could hardly wait until the next planting season.

And here we are. That time of year to start dreaming and planning the new garden.

Actually, I've been dreaming since we took down the last one... new seeds to plant, new vegetables to grow...

This year we're going to square foot garden.

I planted my first garden some years ago in our old house, with the help of my friend Anita. It didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped. But it was a start.

After we moved into this house I'd wanted to try again. The phrase "the prophet said to plant a garden, so that's what we'll do" kept running through my mind. It was a lot of work. We've had so much help and advice from my grandpa. He's an expert gardener. And happy to share his knowledge and wisdom.

This year will be our 4th garden here. Each year I learn more and get better at it. There have
been so many benefits and blessings that have come to our family through gardening. Physically, mentally, spiritually and nutritionally.

My grandpa says it's time to get going on this year's garden. It's time to quit dreaming and planning. It's time to start working.

The prophet said to plant a garden, so that's what we'll do.
For God has given rich brown soil, the rain and sunshine too.
And if we plant the seeds just right, and tend them carefully,
Before we know good things will grow to feed our family.
--Children's Songbook, 237

8 comments:

keri said...

HELP. I want to plant a garden

autumntime said...

Rayn, I loved that book. That is so funny, last fall i checked it out from the library. and read it- It really makes a lot of sense. We were going to actually try the same thing this year. Since we don't have a lot of space. And I want my kids to each be in charge of their own section. Good learning. Keep us posted on were you get your materials and how you do your.

The Calico Crew said...

yes, share your secrets. It's our first garden over here so I'm not all that sure what the soil needs (besides some good ol' fertilizer I'm hoping is still sold in truck loads by the fair grounds this year). I'm still trying to decide the best place to put it :)

rayndrop said...

they don't sell the horse manure out by the fair grounds anymore. the county sold it to a private business. makes me mad! i think you can buy compost from the dump though. i'll keep everyone posted on how we do things. oh yeah, and like autumntime says, the book is available for checking out at the public library. that's where i first read it!

saskia said...

we tried this last year and it was our first year and not much time to prep soil and all - so our garden was pathetic- this year we have big dreams and it's time to start seeds in the house

The Heaton's said...

I am envious you are starting a garden here soon. We still have SNOW!!! It will still be a while before we get things ready:(! I am sooo ready for spring! I have heard wonderful things about that book, especially if you don't have alot of room. I really need to check into it more!

gina said...

Ok here I am leaving a comment. I know I have before too. I am getting excited to plant my garden too. Hope it turns out great.

the Tonioli's said...

You are so on top of things!! Good luck. Happy planting.